Stockdale West Integrated Banking Project – Three Extraction Wells
Irvine Ranch Water District (2016)
In support of Irvine Ranch Water District’s (IRWD’s) Stockdale West Integrated Banking Project near Bakersfield, California, TH&Co provided a wide range of hydrogeological services for the project, including:
- Initial well siting analysis,
- Support during the CEQA process,
- Preparation of detailed technical specifications for use in obtaining Contractor bids,
- Bid support, and
- Design, construction, and testing of three new production wells
- Logging and analysis of borehole cuttings
- Isolated aquifer zone testing
- Analysis of water quality data from groundwater samples
- Step and 24-hour constant rate tests on all wells
TH&Co provided onsite inspection and reporting during all aspects of drilling, data collection, final design, construction, and testing of the three extraction wells for the project. This work included borehole logging, geophysical logging, isolated zone testing, well construction, well development, pumping tests, and water sampling. Pilot boreholes for the wells were drilled to depths ranging from 970 to 1,400 ft below ground surface (ft bgs). The final wells were constructed of 20-inch diameter high strength low alloy (HSLA) steel to depths ranging from 620 to 650 ft bgs. The wells were not constructed deeper, as originally planned, due to high concentrations of arsenic detected in deeper aquifer zones.
All three wells were successfully completed with design pumping rates greater than 2,000 gallon per minute. The project was completed on time and within budget.